Wednesday, April 9th, 2014

The other Jacques Demy film we saw at the festival was Lola, a prelude of sorts to The Umbrellas of Cherbourg in that it provides the backstory to a character who appears in both films, Roland Cassard. Beautifully shot in black and white, this was Demy’s first feature-length film and, like Umbrellas, another story of star-crossed lovers, but thank goodness none of them sang. Well, Lola did, but just one song and then only because she was a dancer in a cabaret show.

I just loved it. B didn’t. She thought it was hokey the way Cassard fell in love with his childhood sweetheart at the drop of a hat. I thought that was an odd thing for her to say because he did the same thing when he fell in love with a shopgirl in Umbrellas. I love hokiness in old movies, especially black and white films, so that’s probably why I enjoyed Lola.

Later this week we’re going to see The Young Girls of Rouchefort, Demy’s follow-up to Umbrellas. I’ll be very interested to see how each of us feels about that one!

Lola | 10:23 am CDT
Category: entertainment, festivals, movies, play, vacation, Wisc Film Fest | Tags:
6 Comments | Add a comment

6 Comments

1. 1 B said at 11:20 am on April 9th, 2014:

Don’t forget that our first film today is Demy’s “The Room in Town,” another one in which all the dialogue is sung. Hope you’re as excited as I am!

2. 2 Dave said at 9:18 am on April 10th, 2014:

Now that I’ve seen “A Room In Town” I can say without hesitation that singing every line of dialogue doesn’t work for me at all.

3. 3 B said at 11:35 am on April 9th, 2014:

And cASSard was a total jerk to Lola. One minute he’s swooning with how much he loves her–has ALWAYS loved her, even after admitting he hasn’t thought about her IN AT LEAST A DECADE–and the next he’s calling he a syphilitic whore. He deserved a swift kick to his delicates, if you ask me.

4. 4 Dave said at 9:20 am on April 10th, 2014:

I could be wrong, but wasn’t she, in fact, a whore? Or did she sleep with sailors just for the fun of it?

I don’t remember the “syphilitic” part.

5. 5 B said at 5:52 pm on April 10th, 2014:

Only ONE sailor–and only ’cause he reminded her of the lover who ditched her when she was carrying his child. It’s romantic, see?

6. 6 B said at 5:56 pm on April 10th, 2014:

I embellished the “syphilitic” part, but he did say a bunch of other nasty things that I couldn’t remember.