Friday, September 21st, 2012

image of the Milky Way in the night sky“Unlike other animals, humans are quite comfortable sleeping on our backs. This simple fact affords us a view of the boundless night sky as we fall asleep, allowing us to dream about our place in the cosmos and to wonder what lies undiscovered in the worlds beyond.

The effect is to leave us restless for want of a plan to discover. We know in our minds, but especially in our hearts, the value to our culture of new voyages and the new vistas they provide. Because without them, our culture stalls and our species withers. And we might as well go to sleep facing down.”

NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON

face up | 5:34 am CDT
Category: Big Book of Quotations, books, daily drivel, entertainment, hobby, play, space geekery
6 Comments | Add a comment

6 Comments

1. 1 B said at 6:05 am on September 21st, 2012:

Don’t be jealous when I say this, but I love Neil deGrasse Tyson!

2. 2 Dave said at 7:15 am on September 22nd, 2012:

Why would that make me jealous? I love him, too!

3. 3 B said at 8:02 am on September 22nd, 2012:

In that case, maybe he’ll sign both of our chests!

4. 4 The Seanster said at 11:17 am on September 22nd, 2012:

Wow. You two are WAY kinkier than I ever wanted to know. O_o

5. 5 Dave said at 12:39 pm on September 22nd, 2012:

Not sure what you’re implying. Is Dr. Tyson kinky in some way that I should be aware of? I asked The Mighty Google but came up with nothing, which is really strange considering some of the things I’ve seen written on the internet about him. And now, somewhere in google’s memory, the search terms “neil degrasse tyson kinky” are associated with my name for all time.

6. 6 The Seanster said at 11:25 pm on September 23rd, 2012:

You both love him, and apparently want him to sign your chests. Kinda sketch, folks.