Tuesday, November 1st, 2011

Hello. Back from Denver. Can barely keep my eyes open even though it’s not quite six o’clock in the evening. Batting out some drivel in an effort to avoid slumping into an unconscious heap before the sun goes down.

I’m not exhausted because My Darling B and I walked eighty-seven blocks through downtown Denver (and a little in Aurora). We did that, but that’s not why I’m exhausted. I’m about to crash and burn because, on our last night in the Brown Palace Hotel, a couple drunken knuckleheads whooping it up in the hallway kept me awake from about one o’clock in the morning until about three, when they pulled a fire hose off the wall, flooded the hallway and set off the fire alarm, which kept on bleeping until about three-thirty. Maybe the management couldn’t reset the alarm until the fire department finished checking out the building? I don’t know. When the alarm finally stopped bleeping and we lost interest, we went back to bed and were just about to drop off to sleep when *BLEEP!*BLEEP!*BLEEP!* “… normal operations. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused you.” *click* Okay, I guess they probably have to announce the all-clear, too. But geeze.

Guess what happened at about four-thirty? I don’t know what set the alarm off that time, but we didn’t bother trying to go back to sleep after that, seeing as how we were going to leave at six anyway. We just started getting ready a little earlier than we had to.

While we were checking out, the night manager apologized for the disturbance, to which I responded, “Are you offering any kind of a discount for that?”

“What do you think would be fair?” he asked.

“I think I would be fair if you didn’t charge me for last night at all, but I’d appreciate any kind of a discount, really.”

He thought about it for a second or two, then took the last night off the bill, which was damned decent of him, I’ve got to say.

My Darling B managed to find the one coffee shop on the 16th Street Mall that opened at six o’clock. We were there a couple minutes early, but the barista let us in anyway and cooked some scrummy egg sandwiches for us while we sipped coffee and slowly came to life. I had scrambled eggs on an English muffin, while My Darling B had eggs and sausage on a croissant. We had plenty of time to relax and enjoy them before we had to meet our express bus to the airport at seven-fifteen.

return | 5:27 pm CDT
Category: daily drivel | Tags: ,
3 Comments | Add a comment


  1. 1 The Seanster said at 6:13 pm on November 1st, 2011:

    Sorry to hear about the douche-nozzles, and not getting much sleep, but I’m glad you got back safely, and I’m glad I got to see you guys!

  2. 2 Dave said at 6:06 am on November 2nd, 2011:

    “Douche-nozzle” is the perfect epithet for those knuckleheads. Thanks, Sean!

  3. 3 The Seanster said at 9:55 pm on November 3rd, 2011:

    Any time, Pops. :)